Thursday, January 18, 2007

Brushing with nature...

A third-year print-making student has created an odd installation in our sculpture court as part of a college exhibition. A live hamster powers a wheel which in turn powers a cam which causes the front leg of a stuffed hamster (raised on its back legs) to wave up and down. Very odd,... and slightly distressing. Not least for the live hamster, having to animate his dead cousin.

This was my first brush with nature today, and it wasn't going to end there. Only about 30 seconds later, while walking out of college down to Lady Lawson Street, I was confronted by the unusual sight of a fox trotting towards me on the other side of the driveway. "How odd", I thought. But quite pleasing. Certainly the closest I've ever experienced these beautiful and timid creatures. Well, maybe not so timid. It carried on past me, quite unperturbed by my presence.

Then,... later still,... on arrival at my flat, I encounter yet more livestock! This time in the form of a mouse,... scurrying first across the kitchen floor, then, horror of horrors, into my room,... then back into the hallway and into the utility room, where I promptly locked in, hoping that the snug fit between carpet and door would keep it quarantined until a trap can be procured! The hamster and fox I can cope with,... but the mouse is doing my head in! It is probably gorging itself on my washing powder as I write, before nesting in the box to have a litter of 16 micelets. I will never be able to wash laundry again. Save me from a clean clothes catastrophe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think meeclets are cute but the fully grown ones? Not so much.

When I was in London we had mice that used to come up from the Indian restaurant below: we used to catch them in the bin and deport them to a park. Neither my flatmate nor I could bear to kill them.