Sunday, October 15, 2006

Settling In


Well, three weeks have passed since I arrived in Edinburgh, after a hectic week in Malmo which ended with a very drunken night out in Copenhagen with Arni Gretar which resulted in the loss of my phone! Don't worry - Mr Vodafone kindly supplied me with a new sim card (for free) which I stuck in an old phone that I had lying around. Some of you may remember the old ericsson with the "active flip technology". Pórhallur, you were very familiar with it - well now it gets yet another lease of life.

Week one here was taken up with Fresher's Week and lots of rather tedious introductions to Edinburgh College of Art life, facilities, etc. I couldn't wait to get started. And in weeks two and three (one and two of the course) we have launched right in. We get lectures in design, materials, sustainability, and visual culture. In addition we get a whole day of drawing classes each week, and about 2 days of studio time where we play with materials and build models. Its going great! I actually feel like I can become an Architect. I'm dead interested in the work, and I'm discovering expressive, creative and drawing capabilities that were previously untapped. This is a relief.

Excitingly, I've made contact with an architects practice nearby, which is quite well known in Scotland, indeed, across the UK. I'm very hopeful that this might lead to some part-time work, either during term or perhaps in vacations. I will keep you posted on this.

I feel like some nice Scottish porridge now.

1 comment:

Þrallur said...

I am so jelaous, I wanna go to school!!