Saturday, October 21, 2006

Soft Parcels and Birthday Thanks


Many of you have been writing to me and asking about how my birthday went. So I'm posting a short response to you all.

Firstly, my birthday this year fell in the middle of week two of the term - a week busy with lots of unfamiliar work and highly important getting to know each other type activities. I decided to play my birthday fairly low-key amongst all this (partly didn't want to draw attention to my age amongst all the youngsters on my course). So I celebrated my birthday on Tuesday night (after midnight) with course-mates down the pub, after an Architecture night out. And on my real birthday I joined Nick and friends for a pub quiz down at the Blue Blazer. No real parties, no real attention drawn. But pleasant, nonetheless. Also, Carlos (a friend from Cambridge) and I had celebrated heartily the weekend before, so I was partied out.

A few notes of thanks are appropriate though. To mam for the very generous cash gift which I will spend wisely on sensible clothes purchases (plural intentional). To my flat mate for the very nice bottle of wine (which we are in the middle of drinking). To friends who bought me drinks on my birthday, especially Ro and Nick. To Þórhallur for all the cards from Iceland, including the prestigious message from the "icegays". And finally, to my sister and family for the "soft parcel" they sent. My sister has a tendency to send me soft parcels which can often cause me concern. "Soft parcel" is code for "I've got you something to wear, and I hope you'll like it". Anyone who knows mean will understand how much of a risk this is. Nine times out of ten it has to be swapped for something else. I'm afraid this was one of the nine, dear sister. But it's the thought that counts!

No comments: